Sunday, March 18, 2012

Kitty's View on Twilight.

I don't post much about things I like, do I?
Well I'm going to continue that pattern.
I don't particularly like the STORYLINE of Twilight, or the main character.

 I'm not gonna deny the success of Twilight, it's a #1 best seller. In my opinion, that doesn't mean it's literature.
Literature is To Kill A Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies, 1984, Animal Farm, most Stephen King novels and any novel that is deep, layered, meaningful and has a message to deliver, whether evolutionary or revolutionary.

 Twilight does have messages in the books, but as far as I can see, they're mostly negative.


Bella
 Bella is supposed to represent a typical teenage girl in modern society. Last time I checked, most teenage girls do not in fact, have a two dimensional personality.
One thing that confuses me about Bella is the fact she's so... well, unexcited and neutral about things.
If two boys were on the brink of war over a girl, the girl would naturally feel worried about the two boys and their safety. She might even get a bit upset over it.
Not Bella.
She remains this face: -_-
I get there are some people like that, but even in dire situations, they might show a little passion.


The Portrayal of a Heroine & Abstinence.
 First of all, Twilight seems to be all about abstinence [no sex until marriage]. That's not really a problem, it's what the author believes in.
It's when the message in the final book changes, and then I get pissed off.
When Bella decides to keep her baby that will almost definitely kill her,  this is what I read:

Bella: Edward, I'm pregnant!
Edward: Oh God, a vampire-human baby! That will surely doom society, Forks, and perhaps the entire world! That shit is dangerous, it shouldn't be let near any living organism!
Carlisle: Bella, I'm seriously recommending you get rid of this baby. It's a threat to humankind.
Bella: I'MGONNAKEEPTHISBABYBECAUSEIT'SAWOMANSDUTYTOBEARCHILDRENEVENATTHECOSTOFHEROWNLIFEANDIWILLABSOLUTELYNOTHAVEANABORTIONBECAUSEI'MAGOODWIFE.

... What?
Okay, I admit. I'm not COMPLETELY against abortions. I think it should be allowed in circumstances like rape, unconsented incest, if there's no financial support for the baby or if the mothers life is in danger.
I get that Bella doesn't want to have an abortion, but seriously, the portrayal of her as a heroine and her acting in that way just makes me sick. Women don't have to bear children, it helps the population sure, but not every woman has to. Especially not for the sake of being "a good wife".

 "So, Kitty," I hear you cry, "Why do you watch and read Twilight then?"




ABSABSABSABSABSABSABSABSABSABS




 And I think that's a good enough reason for everything.


I DON'T KNOW WHY I PUT THIS HERE. IT JUST FEELS RIGHT.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment